Eden Gardens’ 150 years celebration could not be better than this. No one would have thought that this day will be written in golden letters in the history of ODI cricket. Cricket fans, who were watching this match from the stands, will cherish this day for their lifetime.
Returning from injury, Rohit Sharma played a fabulous inning of 264 in 173 balls in 4th ODI against Sri Lanka on 13th November, 2014. He was not out until the last ball of India’ inning was bowled. He falls off the last ball of the innings trying to play a big shot.
Rohit Sharma was on 4 when he was dropped by Thisara Perera at third man.
India Scored 405/5 altogether and in their effort to chase such a big total, Guests could garner a meagre 251 and lost by 153 runs. India leads 4-0 (undefeatable) in the 5 match ODI series.
|Rohit Sharma Celebrating his double hundred at Eden Gardens, Kolkata|
It was his first international match after he injured himself in the second ODI against England in August. This inning of 264 makes him the only person on the planet who has scored two Double Hundreds in ODI matches.
In his last eight ODI innings, Rohit Sharma’s has scored two double-centuries, one big century and two half centuries. As an opener, he has scored 1765 runs in 38 innings at an average of 53.48. (That’s good).
Some Interesting Facts/Records After the Match:
- 264 – Rohit Sharma’s Score, a world record for the highest score in ODI.
- 2 – Number of double centuries scored by Rohit Sharma in ODI makes his the first batsman to do so.
- 404 – India’s fifth 400-plus score in ODIs. No other team has made more than two.
- 153 – India’s victory margin in this game. They win by the same margin when Sachin Tendulkar and Virendra Sehwag scored their double centuries.
- 202 – Third Wicket partnership between Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma. India’s eighth 200-plus third wicket partnership.
- 173 – Highest number of balls played by a batsman in a completed 50 over ODI inning.
- 33 – Maximum number of fours hit during an inning.
- 15 – Number of balls Rohit Sharma took to reach 250 from 200.
- 198 – Difference between Rohit’s score and that of next highest scorer in same team. This is the biggest difference between the top scorer and the next highest scorer in ODIs.
- 400 – Number of innings played by Mahela Jayawardene. Other two players who have achieved this feat are Sanath Jayasuriya and Sachin Tendulkar.
Courtesy : www.espncricinfo.com